Sunday, February 15, 2009

Melbourne —Melbourne Victory FC has advanced through to the 2008-9 A-League Grand Final after defeating Adelaide United in their 2-leg Semi Final. Melbourne will now host the winner of the Adelaide verses Queensland Roar Preliminary Final. In a top four finals series, which the A-League uses, the Preliminary Final is a final played between the qualifying Semi Final (1st vs. 2nd) and the winner of the elimination Semi Final (3rd vs. 4th) for the remaining spot in the Grand Final.

14 February 200919:30 UTC+11
Melbourne Victory 4 – 0 Adelaide United Telstra Dome Attendance: 34,736 Referee: Matthew Breeze
Thompson 10′Hernández 24′Allsopp 44′Pondeljak 48′ ReportSummary Cassio  62′, 82′

Melbourne handed Adelaide a four goal to none thumping in the second leg of the semi final. Adealaide did not look like they were in the match after Archie Thompson slotted home a goal in the tenth minute.

Carlos Hernandez produced three assists and scored a goal in the 48th minute. Hernandez had flown in from representing Coasta Rica in a World Cup qualifier.

Michael Lynch of The Age described Adelaide’s performance as “inept and embarrassing, lacking wit, verve, invention or ideas.”

“It will be interesting to see what happens when Carlos [Hernandez] is really fit as well, when he’s had a bit of a rest. He was supurb for us tonight,” said Melbourne captain Kevin Muscat.

“After everything we spoke about last week, coming in and getting a positive result and working hard, it just didn’t happen and at this level that’s not acceptable…we’ll have a long hard look at ourselves this week and see if we want to be here, and on that performance you would say no,” said Adelaide captain Travis Dodd, ruing his sides defeat.

“The motivation has to be there, we’re playing for a grand final spot, to host a grand final, and if that’s the best we can do then…you have to wonder where we’re at. I guess it is going to be a week of soul searching we have to get our act together for Queensland’s game,” added Dodd.

Melbourne won the game four goals to one and the semi final six goals to none.