Sunday, June 23, 2013

A device known as the Mosquito, set to be trialed in New South Wales (NSW), Australia by RailCorp in a bid to deter vandals from areas frequently the target of graffiti, is attracting criticism. Wikinews reached out to several people about the trials.

The units work by emitting a high-pitched buzz, similar to that of a mosquito, which is generally only audible to those under the age of about 24. The aim is to repel young people who become irritated by the noise, as a prevention method against graffiti, loitering, and other crimes like theft.

The initiative was announced last month, but RailCorp has not revealed when it intends to test the technology to crack down on graffiti.

In an interview with Wikinews, President of the NSW Council for Civil Liberties Cameron Murphy this week labeled the strategy “ridiculous”. “All they’re going to do is wear headphones and these [devices] will make no difference at all.”

Thousands of units have been set up in the UK since they first became available about seven years ago, where they’re used to stop youths gathering near public areas like shops and train stations. The technology has a high usage rate in the UK, and the Council of Europe has called for a ban on grounds it violates human rights, calling it “highly offensive”.

A RailCorp spokesperson confirmed to Wikinews the devices would only be situated on railway land away from public areas.

Mr Murphy maintains the NSW government’s policy is “based upon discrimination” and it assumes the youth affected by the noise are those doing graffiti, without solid evidence to prove this.

NSW Liberal MP Gareth Ward told Wikinews, “very few crime fighting techniques are fool-proof,” and as people have found ways to get around CCTV, they’re like to do the same with this, which is why it’s only being trialed at this stage. He acknowledged the devices will be situated in areas where the general public shouldn’t be hanging around. “There are certain areas in the network where trains may not be travelling at a particular time and that’s when those devices will be turned on […] and I think that’s perfectly reasonable.” He remarked, “any young person who feels they’ve been aggrieved […] should feel free to contact the Minster for Transport.”

A mobile phone message tone based on the same mosquito sound has been touted as teacher-proof because teens should be the only ones able to hear it if it goes off during class.

Retrieved from “https://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?title=Questions_raised_over_Mosquito_device_ahead_of_New_South_Wales_trial&oldid=2584821”

Saturday, May 6, 2006

A four-year-old Indian boy from the eastern state of Orissa ran 65 kilometers (40 miles) continuously, setting an Indian record and possibly a world record as well.

Budhia Singh, a slum resident whose talent was discovered by a local coach, completed his run in seven hours and two minutes. Budhia had originally planned to run 43 miles, but doctors intervened at the 40-mile mark when he started showing signs of extreme exhaustion. 300 cadets from the Central Reserve Police Force, which plans to sponsor his upbringing, escorted Budhia, while thousands of onlookers cheered him on.

Officials from the Limca Book of Records, India’s best-known record book, witnessed the run and said that Budhia’s accomplishment would appear in the 2007 edition of the book.

Coach Biranchi Das says that he had seen Budhia’s talent when Budhia accidentally entered a sports field without permission. Das had the boy run laps as punishment, but after five hours the boy was still running.

Human rights groups in India decried the run, saying that government officials endangered Budhia’s life by allowing him to run in sweltering temperatures. “It is an act done so rashly or negligently to endanger human life or the personal safety of others as defined under section 336 of the Indian Penal Code,” said Suhas Chakma, director of the Asian Center for Human Rights.

Das said that doctors had examined the boy and found nothing wrong.

“I loved running today. I can run as much as I want,” Budhia said after the run.

Retrieved from “https://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?title=4_year_old_Indian_boy_runs_40_miles_in_7_hours&oldid=1988518”

byAlma Abell

Caring for loved ones can be a difficult process. During the final stages of life, the burden on a family can even feel insurmountable. In these times, it has often felt necessary in the past to have the family gathered close by, waiting as time counts down in the hospital room. In many ways, this is as uncomfortable for the patient as it is for the family, and that is why Home Care Services in Phoenix seek to make these transitional periods easier.

Hospice services are not something everyone is familiar with. However, they provide a practical alternative to the hospital setting that allows patients to remain at home until the time comes. Being at home is in many ways less stressful for the family as well as the patients. It can help families cope with the change by letting them know that their loved one feels safe and secure, surrounded by those that they love. For patients, it can help to lessen anxiety and provide them with the familiar surroundings of home. The goal of Home Care Services in Phoenix is to provide patients with a higher quality of life.

The benefits of home care extend well beyond putting families at ease by offering them and their loved ones a familiar environment, though. Professional nurses and physicians work to provide patients with every necessity during the period when hospice is necessary. Medications are able to be administered by trained practitioners who come into the home. Nurses can also help guide family members through the many stages of care that come up during hospice.

Many programs also provide families with resources for the spiritual well-being of their loved one. Counseling resources are able to help patients, as well as their families come to terms with the end, and grief counseling programs are also made accessible to help families through the time following their loss.

Hospice care is a service that provides families with options outside of the hospital environment. It helps people not just by providing comfort, but by making the loss of life more natural. Families who go through a home care service program are given a greater sense of privacy and security in a very vulnerable time of their lives. Visit Serenityhospiceaz.com for more details.

Friday, July 7, 2017

On Wednesday, automobile company Volvo announced all of its cars to be released in 2019 onwards are to use some form of battery-powered engine, leaving conventional petrol-only vehicles altogether. The decision comes after Volvo announced in May their intent to cease production of diesel vehicles.

The chief executive of Volvo Cars, HÃ¥kan Samuelsson, said, “People increasingly demand electrified cars”. Volvo aims to release five new electric vehicle models between 2019 and 2021. While little has yet been revealed about them, the company has stated two of them are to be high-performance electric vehicles, branded as Polestars.

Other car models from 2019 may be plug-in hybrid or 48-volt “mild hybrid” systems. Audi and Mercedes-Benz are also releasing mild hybrid cars for the European market.

“This announcement marks the end of the solely combustion engine-powered car. Volvo Cars has stated that it plans to have sold a total of 1m electrified cars by 2025. When we said it we meant it. This is how we are going to do it,” Samuelsson said. Volvo is owned by Chinese automotive giant Geely, and China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology has said by 2025 they want new vehicle sales to be 20 percent “new energy vehicles”.

Retrieved from “https://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?title=Volvo_announces_all_new_car_models_electric_or_hybrid_from_2019&oldid=4332399”

Saturday, September 3, 2016

On Wednesday, English football club Manchester City F.C. announced that they had loaned their goalkeeper Joe Hart to Italian club Torino F.C. till the season end.

Hart joined City from Shrewsbury Town F.C. in 2006. Since then, he has won four Premier League Golden Gloves for keeping most clean sheets in a season, which is a League record. In a decade at the Etihad Stadium, Hart has won two Premier League trophies, two Football League Cups and one FA Cup.

Hart debuted for England at the age of 21, and has represented the country at UEFA Euro 2012 and 2016 and FIFA World Cup 2014.

Signing the contract, Hart said, “I am very excited to compare myself in an important and beautiful League such as Serie A.” ((it))Italian language: ?Sono molto felice di potermi confrontare in un campionato bello e difficile come la Serie A.

Goalkeeper Joe Hart’s move away from Manchester City came about a week after Pep Guardiola signed Chilean goalkeeper Claudio Bravo from FC Barcelona.

Retrieved from “https://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?title=Manchester_City_loans_Joe_Hart_to_Torino&oldid=4576725”

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Gabriel Amorth, the Roman Catholic Church’s leading exorcist, has suggested missing schoolgirl Emanuela Orlandi was kidnapped for sexual abuse at orgies attended by foreign diplomats and arranged by Vatican police. Orlandi was fifteen when she vanished in 1983.

Amorth, 85, who was appointed by the late Pope John Paul II, makes his remarks as Italian police try to determine if bones buried near the body of a mobster belong to Orlandi. Anonymous claims have suggested the tomb of Enrico “Renatino” De Pedis contains clues to her disappearance.

Investigators are examining bones removed from his burial site in the Basilica of Sant’Apollinare. Buried in a nearby crypt, the bones are thought to be centuries old but forensic tests are ongoing. One theory is Pedis kidnapped Orlandi to press Vatican officials over a financial dispute, with his onetime lover claiming her body was disposed of in a cement mixer.

Amorth refutes this explanation, and also an alleged “international dimension”; another theory is that the kidnapping was to try and secure freedom for Mehmet Ali Agca of Turkey, who shot at the pope in 1981. Orlandi’s vanishing “was a crime with a sexual motive” says Amorth. “Parties were organised, with a Vatican gendarme [policeman] acting as the ‘recruiter’ of the girls.”

He further told La Stampa “The network involved diplomatic personnel from a foreign embassy to the Holy See. I believe Emanuela ended up a victim of this circle”. “It has already previously been stated by [the late] monsignor Simeone Duca, an archivist at the Vatican, who was asked to recruit girls for parties with the help of the Vatican gendarmes.”

Orlandi has not been seen since she set off from the family apartment in the Vatican City, heading for a Rome music lesson. Orlandi’s father worked for the Holy See. Amorth is a controversial priest who lays claim to thousands of exorcisms and has criticised activities such as yoga and children reading Harry Potter books as spiritually harmful.

Retrieved from “https://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?title=Top_exorcist_says_schoolgirl_was_kidnapped_for_Vatican_sex_ring&oldid=1834104”

While it might not be an alarming situation at first, it can become a serious disease if not treated properly. It can affect a person mentally as well and can lower the self-confidence of a person.

So it is imperative that an acne treatment is found. The earlier you tackle the acne, the better. Usually acne will become itchy on your skin and you will find yourself scratching it. This is a very big mistake. Scratching will only worsen the skin condition and the bacteria can spread. If your hands are a bit dirty, this can worsen more.

So if you want to cure your acne as fast as possible, avoid scratching it and take actions immediately. Your acne will heal much more faster.

YouTube Preview Image

There are numerous methods to get rid of your acne. You can make use of acne lotion, cream, cleanser and all the acne skin care products. Although there are certain risks like skin allergies to these products, they can work for you. You won’t know if you don’t try. Of course, consult a dermatologist first.

You can also have recourse to natural methods which exist. It might take more time but they have great potential to work and they are natural. The thing is you need to be consistent in your acne treatment and follow it for several weeks before seeing promising results. If not, you will get discouraged because your acne won’t cure instantly.

Some people have used aloe vera and their skin problem has been healed. Others have utilized green tea leaves which work wonders. Green tea has the benefit of drying your acne and when the latter dries, it will go away with time. You need to boil green tea leaves in water and take the water after. Let it warm a bit, then apply to your face or other affected parts with a towel. Do this for 15 minutes daily for 2 weeks at least. The more the better. When I was a teenager, I got serious acne problems and blackheads as well and green tea leaves was the ultimate solution. Within 2 weeks, I start to see my acne drying up and it was starting to feel itchy which is a sign that it’s being cured. But I didn’t scratch. I continue using the green tea leaves for another 2 weeks and the acne was practically cured.

Then when my acne was healed, I paid more attention to what I eat because nutrition plays a role in acne. For instance if you eat too many oily and fried foods, you can get acne. The key is to eat healthier foods, drink lots of water, exercise, get enough rest and adequate sunlight and you can say goodbye to acne. Eat foods which are low in fats and oil and consume lots of vegetables too. Choose a boiled chicken breast rather than a fried one for example.

So now that you know how I cured my acne, why not give it a try? It doesn’t cost you much apart your consistency and persistency. Good luck in your acne healing goal.

Monday, January 18, 2010

The world’s oldest dog, who answered to the name of Otto, has died at the age of 20. Otto, who was a Dachshund, was born and lived in Shrewsbury, in the county of Shropshire in England.

The dog had to be put down by a vet on Thursday after it was discovered that the animal had developed stomach cancer. The dog’s date of birth was February 14, 1989, which means that Otto would have been 21 years old 31 days after his death occurred. Lynn Jones and her husband Peter had both owned the dog since he was six weeks old. Otto was officially declared the oldest dog in the world by the Guinness Book of Records in October 2009. He was cremated on Friday.

Now Lynn Jones has payed tribute to her pet. “I have cried all morning, I am devastated,” she said. “He died at 10:10AM and I feel like I’ve lost my right arm. I know I sound like a wuss, but he was like the son I never had, my baby boy. I am glad he is not suffering any longer but I wanted him with me forever. We found out yesterday that he had a very large tumour in his stomach and last night I felt that he was trying to tell us something. He couldn’t sit or lie down comfortably and he was trying to tell us that he’d had enough, so we made the decision to end his suffering and took him to the vet [Thursday] morning.”

Retrieved from “https://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?title=World%27s_oldest_dog_dies_at_age_20&oldid=1566520”

Friday, January 26, 2018

Fire broke out on Friday morning and destroyed the bottom two floors of a six-story hospital in Miryang, South Korea, killing at least 37 people, most of them elderly. More than a hundred injuries were reported, with eighteen people in critical condition. This is the highest death toll from fire in South Korea in almost a decade.

The fire is believed to have started at about 7:30 local time, according to fire chief Choi Man-woo. It originated on the ground floor in the emergency room as per various officials. The hospital has 98 beds and a medical staff of about 35, and specializes in long-term care of elderly patients. It adjoins a nursing home, all of whose 94 residents were evacuated. Staff carried some patients out of the hospital on their backs.

One patient, Jang Yeong-jae, who told his story to JoongAng Ilbo, said he escaped by removing a screen from a window to get to a ladder placed by firefighters. He described people “running around in panic, falling over and screaming as smoke filled the rooms”. The majority of the victims died from smoke inhalation and are believed to be elderly, said the head of the city’s public hospital, Chun Jae-kyung. A doctor, a nurse, and a nursing assistant have died, according to the fire service; it took three hours to put out the fire.

In a press briefing, Seok Gyeong-sik, the director of the hospital, apologized to patients and their families. Son Kyung-chul, its chairman, stated that there were no sprinklers because the facility was small. Sprinklers are being installed in the nursing home, where a new law requires them by June 30.

Last month, 29 people died in a fire in a gym in Jecheon; the owner and the manager were arrested for safety violations. In 2014, a blaze in a nursing home in Jangseong left 21 dead. The President of South Korea, Moon Jae-in, responded to the Friday fire by calling an emergency meeting of his staff, and promised that the cause would be found rapidly “to prevent the recurrence of the fire in the future”.

Retrieved from “https://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?title=South_Korea:_Fire_in_hospital_housing_elderly_people_kills_at_least_37&oldid=4393642”